Friday, January 23, 2009

To Jam or not to Jam? That is the Question...

For our Wednesday night run with Meters & Miles, I ran from the Newport store this week with my friend Jenn. Jenn is fresh off running a half marathon last weekend in Phoenix, but decided she wanted to go ahead and see how she felt running (and wanted me to be there to give her a piggy-back ride back to the store if she didn't make it through the whole run). So we met up at the Newport store and here's a recap of our conversation:

Jenn: "I didn't bring my iPod."
Me: "I'll talk to you during some of the run."
Jenn (in her best huffy voice): "You'll talk to me during all of the run."
Me: "Well... let me make sure my iPod is working, just in case we get in a fight and there's an awkward silence."

Luckily, said argument did not occur and I enjoyed chatting with Jenn during our run, but it did bring me to an interesting question: "To Jam or not to Jam?" I have always thought that I absolultey needed music to run to, that if there wasn't a techno beat to back me up that my legs just wouldn't move. In discussions that I've had with other runners, I've learned that a lot of people are just as religious as I am about it.

So I've run a few times now where I've turned off my iPod during some of the run and even a few times that I've--gasp!--not used it at all. In some aspects, I enjoyed it. Chatting certainly makes the time go by quicker. However, when I am jamming out, I kind of get lost in the music and forget that running kind of hurts. Whereas with no music, I am fully cognizant of every little ache and pain. So, I am conflicted.

In other news, I had my photo shoot yesterday for CinWeekly and got to meet my fellow marathon bloggers, Greg and Mike. The shoot went well... I think. I didn't get to see any of the pictures they took and apparently I don't get to help in the selection process. So, if they pick a particularly unflattering shot, then that's what will go in the magazine. I'm fairly certain, though, that the photo of me "acting like a cougar" (ala Austin Powers) will resurface at some point...

Here's my schedule for the rest of the week (including yesterday, since I am a day late on blogging):

Yesterday: 3 miles at the gym plus yoga/pilates class at Fitworks
Today: Rest day
Tomorrow: 7 miles with Meters & Miles

No comments: