Thursday, January 15, 2009

Indoor running, mom's advice and battling fat genes.

In an effort to avoid a snowstorm that didn't happen and extremely cold temperatures that did happen, Meters & Miles gave us the option of running our 4 miles last night at NKU's indoor track instead of braving the elements. I took the indoor option for a couple of reasons: 1.) I haven't been into the campus rec center at NKU since I was a student there and thought it would be fun to go back and see my old stomping grounds and 2.) I really could use a break from the various weather surprises of the past few outdoor runs.

The four miles were a breeze (weather pun intended). I could have easily done more. On that note, I'm finding it's difficult to stop myself from running more. On the days that I run on my own (3-5 miles) I am usually also doing a fitness class (or two) at the gym as well, so I am exhausted by the time I am done. On nights when I am only running 3-4 miles (like last night), I feel like I haven't done anything. On one hand I don't want to feel like a big slouch, but on the other hand I don't want to go over the recommended mileage. My mom (who is hardly an expert on marathons, or for that matter anything involving health or fitness) had a good point: she told me that I need to make sure I don't overtrain and risk injury. Excellent observation, bizarre that it came from my mom.

Part of why I want to run more is because I am still trying to lose weight. You would think that running 20-25 miles every week would melt the pounds off, but it just isn't happening any more. Genetics are telling my body that I ought to be a big, sturdy German woman like every female on my mom's side for 5 generations, and society is telling me I ought to fit into a size 4. Can't we just meet in the middle somewhere?

Seriously though, I was hoping that the strength training classes I am taking would kick my body into gear. Yes, I know that it is normal not to lose weight when strength training because muscle weighs more than fat, but it's been two months now that I've been taking these classes, so I was hoping to start seeing some results on the scale by now. I think this will all become a moot point once I start logging some higher miles on Saturdays, but right now it is frustrating.

Here's the schedule for the rest of the week:

Tonight: 3 miles at the gym plus Group Power and yoga/pilates classes at Fitworks
Tomorrow: Rest, ahhhh.
Saturday: 8 miles with M&M

No comments: