Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ice Queen

Yesterday I got up at 6:15 a.m. for our 7:00 8-mile run. The temperature: 9 degrees with a wind chill of -2. "I'm not going, " I told myself. Then, I thought about it, then thought about it some more, and the decision finally was put to rest when I realized I'd be really mad at myself for not toughing it out. So I put on my hot pink fleece pullover and my yellow Columbia coat over that. I put on my regular black running pants that are too long, and my gray fleece running pants that are too short over the black. I looked ridiculous, but I was warm. I changed my socks three times, settling on the one pair that I have that aren't ankle socks. I put on my hat and gloves and was out the door.

To my surprise, it really wasn't that cold. I think the previous two days of cold that were far more obnoxious in their freezingness helped put 9 degrees in perspective. Plus, I was appropriately dressed for it. I was offered some Secret Star Strawberry Hannah Montana chapstick from fellow runner Nancy, and accepted it more because it was funny than because I thought I needed it. After a short presentation by Oxford Physical Therapy about the importance of stretching, we set off on our run (without stretching first).

The run got off to a good start. There was a group of five of us--Chapstick Nancy, Shelly, Karen, Earl (from M&M) and me--who ran at about the same pace, so never did I once feel lonely during the run. I was also immediately glad that I accepted the chapstick, because the wind was blowing directly in my face. At the turnaround spot, Brad from M&M was there to give us water. While we were drinking, Shelly pointed out that I had icicles in my hair. I touched my hair and felt a huge mass of ice and tangled hair. Nice. (After the run, Earl took the picture at the right to document my icicle experience.)

I continued to feel good until about mile 7. It was then that my legs really started aching and I felt myself slowing down a bit. I'm not sure what happened, but after about a half mile of my legs screaming, my energy came back from wherever it had been hiding, and I finished strong. The fact that I ran 8 fairly easily makes me feel a little bit less nervous about 11 miles in two weeks.
Another thing that makes me feel good about my future runs is the first development I want to share: I got new shoes! Earl told me that during the run it seemed that I was running too much toward the inside of my feet. I hadn't realized that, and wasn't experiencing any pain from it, but it figured it was better to do something about it now before it led to injury. So Earl outfitted me with some new Nike's that give more support on the inside of my foot than my old New Balance $39.99 specials. The price was--Gulp!--but I knew it was necesarry, and the 15% marathoners discount helped a bit. So, this marks the momentous first occassion of me spending nearly $100 for shoes that are actually practical.
The other development that I'd like to share is even more exciting: I am going to be moving my blog here in a few weeks to blog for CinWeekly. I have been chosen to blog my experience for their site along with two other marathoners. I will certainly give everyone the details once I have them.
This week starts out with:
Today: 4 miles outside with Heather
Tomorrow: 4 miles at the gym plus Group Power strength Training
Tuesday: 3 miles (plus I'll probably try to find a class to take at Fitworks)
Wednesday: 4 miles with M&M

2 comments:

Amy in Ohio said...

So great to meet you the other night! I look forward to hearing all about this amazing journey - you truly inspire me!

Chad said...

Gabby, it's great to connect with you again! I just ran the Walt Disney World marathon last week and it was well worth the 400 miles of training that went into it. The best part was getting back into shape. Good luck in your training. At least it can't get colder!

-Chad