Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ice, Ice Baby

The run last night at the Florence Meters & Miles store fared much better (for the most part) than my first run in Newport. In talking to the runners there, I learned that they are a couple of people who are at about an 11:00 minute pace (if that). In a related story, it turns out Webster's Dictionary is finally going to replace my picture next to their entry for the word "slow." This was excellent news.

While I was overjoyed to have found a cozy new home with the Florence runners somewhere in between slow and slowest, I was also greeted by some of the joys of running outdoors, namely extreme cold, wind, and (my personal favorite), ice. The first half of the 4 mile run was smooth sailing. My sweet new running jacket (that I bought at TJ Maxx for $30 on clearance) kept me nice and warm (and way stylish) as my body heated up during the first mile or so. By mile 2 I was rocking it out to a remix of Abba's "Dancing Queen" on my iPod Shuffle and keeping a really good pace.

About the time we hit the halfway point on Turfway, I noticed it was getting a little icy on parts of the sidewalk. As we turned onto Rt. 18 for the home stretch the ice had gotten worse, and I was really skating more than running. What was really fun was that the wind blew so hard that it was actually causing me to run-skate sideways. I felt a bit like a cartoon character. But at least I wasn't the last Goofy in the pack...

The rest of the week is:

Tonight - 3 miles on my own (i.e. treadmill) plus abs/kickbox class at Fitworks
Tomorrow - Rest (Yay!)
Saturday - 6 miles with M&M in Florence

No comments: