Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hey guys...wait up!

It's day 1 of my training and right now I am feeling discouraged. Already. I really hate to say that, because I pride myself on being an optimist. I am still hopeful, and still motivated, but I need for something to change. Here's what happened...

This morning we were supposed to do 5 miles for my first training run with Meters & Miles in Newport. We were running with people who were doing the half marathon as well, and they were only running 3 miles. The instructions on where the 3-milers and 5-milers split off was vague (especially to directionally-challenged individuals like me), so I figured I would just follow my friend Jenn, who I knew paced about a minute ahead of me. Other than knowing Jenn was doing 5 miles, I didn't have any idea who else in the group was doing 3 and who was doing 5.

We ran over the Purple People Bridge and into Sawyer Point, and I fell behind the group (even Jenn) quickly. I saw way up ahead where a few people were rounding a turn just past the Boathouse, but I couldn't see where they were going next. So, I instead followed some people going straight who I suspected were doing the 3-mile run. I decided it was better to just do 3 miles than to not get lost.

Upon returning and explaining my situation, Brad (from M&M) told me that 1.) He would try to explain the routes a little more clearly and that 2.) I would get faster. Unfortunately, neither of these things was reassuring to me. I joined a group to run WITH a group, not to run way, way behind it. And getting faster is not necessarily my goal. I want to complete a marathon, not win it.

So, I am going to try to run with the Meters & Miles group in Florence on Wednesday and hope that maybe there will be someone (anyone?) as slow or slower than me. My biggest fear is being at the back of the pack all alone not knowing the route and on top of that it being dark. Actually, that's not entirely true...my biggest fear is clowns. But I digress.

Anyway, I will see how the run Wednesday goes in Florence. In the meantime, I will be doing the following on my own:

Tomorrow: Should be 3 miles, but I will run the 5 I was supposed to run today.
Monday: 3 miles plus my Group Power strength training class at Fitworks.
Tuesday: 3 miles

1 comment:

Caveman said...

Gabby,

2 things. Distance is overated at this point. When I trained for my marathons I would simply run around Lunkin Airport (5 miles) and Sharon Woods (2.6 miles). It's easy to find the start and finish and if you make it half way you have to finish. Over 1/2 my runs were on the treadmill as I don't like to run outside until mid March. 8 miles on a treadmill watching 1/2 of a NFL playoff game or movie is pretty easy. Second the marathon is more mental than it is physical. If you believe you can do it you will.