Friday, June 5, 2009

Vegas Recap

I could go on and on and on and on about how much fun I had in Vegas and all the cool stuff we did, but I don't want to write a whole novel about it (and I doubt anyone would want to read it), I'll just stick to some of my favorite highlights:


Stumbling into lions: After flying in late Saturday night, we got up early Sunday and started exploring the Strip. Matt has been to Vegas tons of times, so he was a great tour guide. While wandering through MGM Grand, we noticed a large mountain lion exhibit. We found out that in just 15 minutes from now there would be a live show and feeding. So we grabbed a cocktail (there's nothing like rum in the a.m.), and waited for the lions to make their appearance. Two 1500-lb. mountain lions wandered out of the den and showed off for the crowd.



The Palazzo: The first night in Vegas we stayed at the Mirage, and the room was acceptable but not fantastic. I wasn't complaining, but I certainly wasn't impressed. Little did I realize Sunday that we were about to get an upgrade. Matt kept this as a surprise - for the rest of the week we'd be staying at the Palazzo, which was about 1,000 times nicer than the Mirage and probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in (I say probably just because the suite I stayed in at the Galt House in Louisville a few years ago is right up there with this one). Palazzo means "palace" in Italian, and our room felt like a palace.

Swimming with the fishes: It worked out really that Matt likes to gamble and I like to lay by the pool. On Monday we headed to downtown Vegas at the Golden Nugget. I spent the afternoon outside in their kick-ass pool with a shark tank in the middle of it, while Matt played Craps inside (he lost, but made most of it back on roulette...lucky, lucky).


Joining a gym: Yep, only I would join a gym while on vacation. When I realized on Monday that there wasn't a free gym in the hotel, I knew I'd go crazy without getting in at least a few workouts (especially with all the great food we were eating!). So I decided to join the Canyon Ranch for two days. Not only did I get in 10 miles on the treadmill and a Pilates class, I also treated myself to some crazy spa treatments including a Finnish sauna (relaxing), an Aquavana bath (odd) and a shower called "tropical rain storm" (get me out of here, I hate this!).

The food was delicious, especially our steaks at Table 10 (Emeril Lagasse's restaurant) and the buffet at the Wynn (I had at least 4 different desserts, all tasty). The weather was perfect, especially since I spent two afternoons working on my tan (I still can't find it). I learned how to play Craps, and got to help out by rolling the dice a few times, but I don't see myself ever actually placing a bet. I just can't see risking $50-$100 that could be better spent on a cute handbag.
Matt fake-tried to throw me over both the Stratosphere and the Hoover Dam, but then made it up to me and then some by buying me some beautiful pink heart-shaped Saworski crystal earrings with some of his winnings. We spent 4 days there but there's still so much more we wanted to do and see. Also, I'll need to get another one of these:


(Yep, it's a margarita shaped like a football.)

What a great trip! I'm very seriously looking into going back soon. There's a half-marathon there on December 6th. Hmmm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I wish there were more Dam jokes. Just a nature note. What you have in your pictures are African Lions (who may or may not be in the mountains). The mountain lion is native to the Americas and usually weighs less than 150 pounds. The African lion reaches a maximum weight of around 500 pounds. At 1500 pounds a lion would be the size of an elephant, which would in fact be so scary I think I would cry. -J

Gabrielle Visca said...

Haha, thanks Jason. Typo - I meant 500. I did realize they weren't 1500 lbs. Always great to have a biologist around to spew knowledge about any species. You would have love, love, loved the shark tank in the Golden Nugget pool. I would have loved to have you there telling me what everything was.