Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Back in action, reluctantly

While my head is still in Vegas sipping a cocktail by the pool, my body is finally coming to terms with being back in Cincinnati. (I might have to be back from vacation, but I don't have to like it.) After a week of gluttony at 5-star restaurants and buffets, I am trying to refocus on my fitness. It hasn't been easy.

After taking last Wednesday and Thursday off of running, on Friday and Saturday I was ready to attack some respectable mileage. I did a combined 11 miles (7 Friday night and 4 Saturday morning). I am finding that doing a shot of Gu before my runs gives me a little extra "oomph" to get past the 4-5 mile mark. While my body is sending me messages that I should still be taking it easy after the marathon, I know the only way to get over the hump is to slurp up my Gu and suck up my pain.

After 11 miles in two days, I also played flag football Saturday afternoon. More specifically, I played the whole game (40 minutes), with no subs. While I was okay afterward, I really started feeling it while hoofing up the steps to the 500-level at the Reds game Saturday night. At least it was worth it; the Reds took home the victory in extra innings.

After lazing about on Sunday, this week I've been trying to hit the gym harder: I did an easy 4 miles Monday plus Group Power class, then last night I did a 30-minute abs class plus a fast 3-miler. Tonight I'm planning on 5-6 miles (probably on the treadmill due to the rain) and tomorrow I'm doing something called FitCamp, which I have a sneaking suspicion is going to be crazy-hard and will make it difficult for me to sit down or stand up for a few days.

On Saturday, I'll be participating in my first race since the Flying Pig. I'll be running the KCPL Racing to Read 5K. While I know it actually helps fund the Kenton County Public Library, I really wanted to do it because it sounds like the kind of race that might help support The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good... "What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?"

1 comment:

Amy said...

Haha, I like the reason why you're running the KCPL Racing to Read. That's hilarious. Good luck!