Monday, September 14, 2009

13, 29 and My Achilles Heel

It wasn't very long ago that 13 meant halfway. 13 miles was easy... a "short" long run. In training for the Dayton half marathon next weekend, I've had to redefine 13 miles again. I had a great 12-mile run a few weeks ago, but since then, training has been brutal. Somewhere, somehow in the past month, I strained my right achilles tendon and last week's final 13 mile run before the race ended up being only 11 miles and 2 miles of walking. Furthermore, I haven't been hitting the gym as much or as hard as I should. Partly, the achilles injury has been an easy excuse for not having the kind of dedication I usually do, but what it really comes down to is that I'm distracted.

The reason for my distraction is the monumental task of moving. I hate moving. I mean I really, really hate moving. But, I'm also excited because I love the new condo I just purchased and am soon going to be enjoying the benefits of home ownership. I will be closing in about two weeks, and I don't even know where to begin with packing. I just don't know how an individual is capable of accumulating so much crap.

I'm trying not to focus on the actual move since it overwhelms me, and so I choose to instead focus more on how much I'll enjoy living in my new place. My new address number is 2909, and while that didn't mean anything to me when I put in my bid, it was later pointed out to me that it is a fitting number, given that my birthday is 09/29. So cool! And I will be closing on or about 9/29 to boot! What a great birthday present, huh?

Getting out of my apartment full of (currently empty) moving boxes and out on the open road at Wright-Patt next Saturday will be a refreshing break. I had hoped to be in a better place with my running right now. I wanted to run this half marathon faster than my Pig split time, but I just haven't been able to get my speed back to where it was pre-Pig. While it would be easy to get discouraged about my speed (and my injury), I am still keeping up the distance. Just the fact that I can physically go out and run 13 miles is still an accomplishment, and is amazing considering where I came from. I'll be 33 years old on 09/29, and this birthday reminds me of the goal I set for myself on my 30th birthday to lose 100 pounds and get healthy. Three years later, I'm continuing to maintain my weight loss. I may not be running nine-minute miles like I hoped I would, but at least I'm still out there every weekend pounding the pavement. And for now, in the whirlwind of all my distractions, that is good enough for me.

No comments: